Picking up where I last left off, we were at the parking stage (since we did food finding on the road) upon arrival in Seville. It was pretty late, Tuesday night, but the city was alive. We hoped to do the same thing as in Granada – walk around to see what kind of sleeping place we could find – but the city was far too big. We found another itty bitty parking place and wandered around one of the bigger city squares, stopping for an occasional beer, and although there were dozens of bars and restaurants, there was only one hostel. It didn’t seem much like a hostel, as it had no dorm-style rooms and it was quite expensive, but at 2am we gave up the wander and gave in to the ‘hostel’. It was kind of the shittiest hotel there ever was, but we were tired and they had wifi, always a plus. I slept well and when I got up I called my friends in Madrid.
They recommended a good hostel (this time a true hostel, not a Spanish-style hostel) and we set out to see the city a bit. It was a beautiful day - 20° and sunny, with big fluffy clouds floating about in quantity enough to bully us into carrying umbrellas. We walked south from the Plaza de Hercules where the car and hostel sat, looking for food. The city was bustling again, I have to say it must be a city with great regard eating and drinking and for this, I offer it my respect. It was midday on Wednesday, every bar was packed, every restaurant overflowing. We walked through city square upon city square, with historical highlights like ancient castles interspersed amongst the commercial sprawl. We found a cool little restaurant and ate what I would like to consider a typical Spanish meal (ok, for a tourist at least): tapa upon tapa, coffee con leche, orange wine, churros con chocolate, more coffee.
We headed out of the city right on schedule, the rain started once we were in the car – right on schedule. This time I had big plans though. Nearly 3000km into the drive I was tired. Since it was still light out and the rain wasn’t coming down too hard, once we got outside of the city we began driving lessons. Rey had spent a week driving through Nicaragua a few years ago so he had at least some experience with a manual transmission and the Partner practically drives itself, so he picked it up like a natural. I’m freeeeee! It was a great drive to Madrid.
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
-
For the third time in the past three weeks I am nearing my destination
thanks to a wide variety of transports. I think the only method I didn’t
use was a b...
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment