I stopped to compute for a while at a small café and Rey went next door to get his hair cut. It happened to be the best café ever, people of all sorts were coming and going, giving me chocolates and sangria. The old lady who owned it had a little friend stop by and they sang Spanish songs together. The cook, who was Finnish, complained to me that nobody would speak to him in Spanish; I empathized. They helped me find a hotel online, but I wasn’t convinced yet that I could find anything better, so I didn’t go for it. I also made a quick phone call to the mall where the only Taco Bell in Europe (that I could find) was located to determine the holiday season hours. We had until 8pm to get there so we set off to see what we could stumble upon.
As we had suspected it was a huge city. We wandered and wandered and found only fancy hotels and more Antonia’s closets (although most turned us away because it was Christmas eve). We also found another green tie for Rey and I almost found the shoes I want, but they just weren’t quite right. Rey had to give up on his shoe hunt, apparently the country only makes shoes up to size 45, they tended to laugh when he asked for a 47.
As we headed back in to the city (this time it was a much easier journey, as the way home tends to be) the sun was set and the most elaborate holiday decorations I would venture to say on the planet came out. We turned up the eurobeats real loud and drove around the city a bit. It’s a long, stop and go video but one of my favorite moments.
When we got to the hotel we were so thrilled to not be in Antonia’s closet, we took advantage of all the facilities, Jacuzzi and sauna included, although both were turned off, so I really just got cold.
We decided to go to midnight mass and asked the front desk for the biggest church in the city. It was
As can be expected, there were a few trials and tribulations on the drive, but it was really an utter success. I tried a few tricks with the GPS and we ended up on a lone mountain freeway somewhere outside of Zaragoza for a few hours and I got stuck in a bus parking lot in an attempt to escape the train tracks I somehow found myself driving on, but in the end it meant we got free airport-front parking in the local bus lot (just had to drive over a few curbs and bushes, no biggie).
That is so funny. Sounds like q very typical adventure for us. I love our family-- we're so much alike.
ReplyDelete